The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-05-11 14:19:38

BoxDrunken

I'm sad to see this game die.

Sigh, well that was fun. Seriously addictive heart breaking and moments of sheer joy. Sad to see it all end but its been a wail now and i finally think this is it. I seriously only think 5 people play this game now with there multiple account's. man im sad i9 really liked this game i only wish i had played during the conception from ALpha on. sigh missed out

#2 2014-05-11 16:12:19

poor

Re: I'm sad to see this game die.

To an extent, yes. But there are definitely more than 5.

"Safety" is relative
Current life: None; I'm quite dead.

#3 2014-05-11 17:59:24

Cylence

BoxDrunken wrote:

Sigh, well that was fun. Seriously addictive heart breaking and moments of sheer joy. Sad to see it all end but its been a wail now and i finally think this is it. I seriously only think 5 people play this game now with there multiple account's. man im sad i9 really liked this game i only wish i had played during the conception from ALpha on. sigh missed out

I think I've had more fun with less of a player base. I'm the type that likes to watch people figure out the no tool solution to the house. Before, all I got was 2k people who were looking for an easy score and died quickly. There were so many that my house value would shoot up and those with money would just brute force the entire place. It wasn't until the last two months when all the easy money left, that I started to see smarter scouts.

Don't get me wrong I still get people who die easily and people who spend a bunch to brute force, but I looked forward to finding scouts that came back everyday trying something new to further in the house.

Playing as a robber was fun as well, even with the small amount of houses. I'd slowly build of maps of peoples houses and figure out how they worked. This style requires less maintenance, just drop in time from time, scout out a house, die. Repeat when I get 10-15 minutes free. As long as I take notes, I just recall it if I want to visit again.

I don't think you missed out at all =).

Current Life: Mark John Perez
Prev Life: Ronald Michael Jensen
Burglary: Home Invasion 101
Building: House Design 101

#4 2014-05-11 18:22:13

Pumaroma

i agree with cylence on this one.  i started when player base was pretty much at peak and i have way more fun playing now then i did then. But i still wish there were more players.

#5 2014-05-11 19:29:19

Cylence

Pumaroma wrote:

i agree with cylence on this one.  i started when player base was pretty much at peak and i have way more fun playing now then i did then. But i still wish there were more players.

I do also want more players. But specifically more players who are willing to learn and play the game with more investment than "lets hope I get lucky" when robbing.

#6 2014-05-11 19:50:41

cullman

Hang in there, I am still working on/thinking about my reboot version.  Made a job offer to a programmer that can work on it full-time this week.

#7 2014-05-11 20:15:45

Cylence

cullman wrote:

Hang in there, I am still working on/thinking about my reboot version.  Made a job offer to a programmer that can work on it full-time this week.

Good luck man. I look forward to seeing your reboot. I hope it has a robust intro and tutorial sections so people can work up the steep learning curve with at least some direction. As we talked about it earlier, we both feel it could keep new players active and informed (instead of frustrated and wanting to quit).

#8 2014-05-11 20:17:16

cullman

Cylence wrote:
cullman wrote:

Good luck man. I look forward to seeing your reboot. I hope it has a robust intro and tutorial sections so people can work up the steep learning curve with at least some direction. As we talked about it earlier, we both feel it could keep new players active and informed (instead of frustrated and wanting to quit).

Yes I am planning on having different neighborhoods of different difficulties, including an intro neighborhood with some canned houses to help people figure out the game mechanics.

#9 2014-05-12 09:48:10

mala

cullman wrote:

wow that's really a good news big_smile

i'll be back at the end of the week, hope to hear something new on this side

Current Incarnation: none
Previous Houses: Ticking Nightmare - Luna's Park - Hightower Mansion - Chang's Place

#10 2014-05-12 15:00:22

Pohaku

Afraid it's one less player now - I'm out.  I had a very, very promising house and I just pissed it away while naked scouting a $300 broken house! I absolutely adore this game.  I'm not ragequitting - it's just that so few people are playing it now that I haven't the patience to play. I can scout a dozen houses once every 24 hours, or I can build a house and collect $3-400 in bounties per day from it.  I can't see it being possible to build a decent house from scratch now without exploiting my alt account, which I won't do on principle.

I know there are some of you guys doing things to try and promote this game and get players in... if I had the time I'd help out, but to be perfectly honest if anybody should be making efforts to promote this game and get more players on board then it's the guy who is taking £12 a pop for downloading it. Those of us who love this game aren't weirdos or anything - there are tens of thousands of people in the world who would love to play this game as much as we do, it's just that they don't know about it, and/or £12 is too much for them to gamble on an indy game that they don't know they will like until they play it.  Jason puts his own 'no-discount-sale' principles above both the success of his game and the enjoyment of those who have paid him handsomely to play it, and that's a real shame. I personally think this game could become a £2.99 super-hit on Steam, but hey-ho, there-ya-go.

So long TCD, it was fun.

#11 2014-05-12 20:16:29

42dustman

I enjoyed it while it lasted.

Self-testing is torture.

#12 2014-05-12 21:58:10

bigSadFace

Pohaku wrote:

Afraid it's one less player now - I'm out.  I had a very, very promising house and I just pissed it away while naked scouting a $300 broken house! I absolutely adore this game.  I'm not ragequitting - it's just that so few people are playing it now that I haven't the patience to play. I can scout a dozen houses once every 24 hours, or I can build a house and collect $3-400 in bounties per day from it.  I can't see it being possible to build a decent house from scratch now without exploiting my alt account, which I won't do on principle.

I know there are some of you guys doing things to try and promote this game and get players in... if I had the time I'd help out, but to be perfectly honest if anybody should be making efforts to promote this game and get more players on board then it's the guy who is taking £12 a pop for downloading it. Those of us who love this game aren't weirdos or anything - there are tens of thousands of people in the world who would love to play this game as much as we do, it's just that they don't know about it, and/or £12 is too much for them to gamble on an indy game that they don't know they will like until they play it.  Jason puts his own 'no-discount-sale' principles above both the success of his game and the enjoyment of those who have paid him handsomely to play it, and that's a real shame. I personally think this game could become a £2.99 super-hit on Steam, but hey-ho, there-ya-go.

So long TCD, it was fun.

Agree.  I certainly won't be buying any more of his multiplayer games.

#13 2014-05-12 22:00:27

The Vault Keeper

I just think he should make it available on mobile phones. Mobile users and computer users all on the same server. Easier accessibility and perhaps a lower price on mobile (Which is a way to go around not lowering the price because it's technically a different platform??)

#14 2014-05-13 06:51:00

cullman

The Vault Keeper wrote:

I just think he should make it available on mobile phones. Mobile users and computer users all on the same server. Easier accessibility and perhaps a lower price on mobile (Which is a way to go around not lowering the price because it's technically a different platform??)

An iOS and Android version is a major component of my reboot of the game.

#15 2014-05-13 08:06:05

Pumaroma

i would be happy just to be able to get push notifications of my security tapes and house status

#16 2014-05-14 14:41:30

cullman

mala wrote:
cullman wrote:

Good news.  He accepted.  Starting in 2 weeks or so.

#17 2014-05-14 17:22:17

Nakula

WOW! nice job cullman! I'm super excited about this remake!

#18 2014-05-14 20:17:17

cullman

Nakula wrote:

Me too.  I am hoping we should have a release on all platforms in a few months with someone working fulltime.

#19 2014-05-14 22:55:00

Cylence

cullman wrote:
Nakula wrote:

Me too.  I am hoping we should have a release on all platforms in a few months with someone working fulltime.

Cullman, maybe you should create a thread so that all your updates and announcements can go into it. For people who want to find info on what you plan on including, it's all in one place instead of scattered throughout different threads. I know you've mentioned feature you'd like to include across many different ones.

#20 2014-05-18 15:27:17

mala

cullman wrote:
mala wrote:
cullman wrote:

Good news.  He accepted.  Starting in 2 weeks or so.

and that's exactly what i was waiting for at my return big_smile

nice to hear that

Current Incarnation: none
Previous Houses: Ticking Nightmare - Luna's Park - Hightower Mansion - Chang's Place

#21 2014-05-19 09:27:18

ventuswings

Wow, I missed this news. That's amazing!

#22 2014-05-20 07:56:19

Cylence

ventuswings wrote:

Cullman
I'm gonna urge you again to make a new thread with a proper title, so that we can follow all the features and updates in ONE place.

#23 2014-05-20 23:33:27

cullman

Cylence wrote:
ventuswings wrote:

Cullman
I'm gonna urge you again to make a new thread with a proper title, so that we can follow all the features and updates in ONE place.

I didn't say anything else!

I will start a thread when my coder shows up.

Board footer