The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#76 2014-05-23 05:28:03

Pumaroma

Re: To the visitors of Stephen Thomas Geyer [spoiler alert p3]

Yes Karma got me for killing the wife. I unfortunately died in a self test. I had spent most of yesterday redesigning my house. I had everything mapped but that little section with the vault. I knew about the cat. Even after finding it I still dont know how you are supposed to activate the bottom left cat as I had to go through multiple dogs to get vision of it. I wouldh ave loved to ebat this with only a 2k set but i didn't want someone else to get the $ i had been chasing after for weeks.

#77 2014-05-23 11:54:30

iceman
Website

Yeah, I'd like to know how to get to the bottom left vault as well.  That's where I thought it would be, after Puma had explored the many, many cat hallways, but I didn't have a clue about the cat in the bottom left corner, so I probably wouldn't have made any progress.

I absolutely LOVED this house because of one little area- the exit after scaring the cat across the center pits.  I knew you had to get up there and scare the cat down, but I couldn't figure out how it was possible to get back down there after that.  Then, suddenly, I realized- one of the powered doors to the left didn't recieve power from below.  Your house uses powered doors as walls so much that you were actually able to make a fake wall!  When I did go through that area, it felt like I was crawling through this cramped, secret tunnel that shouldn't have existed.  Pretty much the exact same feelings as going through the non-test chamber areas in Portal, actually!

Fortress Theory Mod - New objects, tools, and paintings!

I keep dying of a natural cause - Stupidity
The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#78 2014-05-23 14:03:26

Cylence

ack2000 wrote:

please help me understand the bottom left safe location how do you get that to open? with no tools, i spent a lot of time in that room grid and dogs.

Pumaroma wrote:

I knew about the cat. Even after finding it I still dont know how you are supposed to activate the bottom left cat as I had to go through multiple dogs to get vision of it.

iceman wrote:

Yeah, I'd like to know how to get to the bottom left vault as well.

The cat in the corner is only for brute force defense and has nothing to do with the solution. The cat locks the door when people shoot through the dogs. This causes gun toting family hunters to revisit and bring crowbars if they want to explore that area (not to mention rebuy the guns to get down there).

My hint of visiting the dogs alluded to the solution.
The key to getting to that vault location is spotting the dog that will open the door for you. When you first enter the house, you have to head south to make sure the last dog in the second column sees you. After that, you proceed past the entrance and south (you have to watch out for the first electric grid pulse).

Once you are on the grid, you wanna spot the dog in the west behind the wooden door then head for the trapdoor where the grid will pulse and kill him (clearing him now will help you later). Then after you cross the trapdoor you'll spot the dog in front of the western powered door. I usually walk 1 space towards him to get him properly spaced, then you walk east and north to the northeastern trap door and get the grid to pulse and kill that dog.

Now you have to go back northwest and circle around to the southwest trapdoor, because if you go immediately south the grid pulse will kill you. It's time to kill the third dog. Open the powered door with the light in front of it to release him. Then head up to the northeast trapdoor and then circle around again to the southwest. The dog will die on the second pulse.

Now with the dog out of the way, you want to head over to the hallway he was in, and step towards the wall 3 times. This will give the dog that you spotted at the beginning a chance to run towards you (around the wall and the vault) and unlock two powered doors. Exit the hallway and unlock the western most powered door to reveal the dog. I usually kill him off with a grid pulse, but you could also just loop around wooden pillar and head for the vault.

Current Life: Mark John Perez
Prev Life: Ronald Michael Jensen
Burglary: Home Invasion 101
Building: House Design 101

#79 2014-05-23 14:35:43

Cylence

Pumaroma wrote:

Yes Karma got me for killing the wife. I unfortunately died in a self test. ..I wouldh ave loved to ebat this with only a 2k set but i didn't want someone else to get the $ i had been chasing after for weeks.

Yeah, next time leave the family alone. I usually make it really expensive to kill them. $45k should have been enough. I was gonna use the money to completely change the house, but I'll have to get it the old fashioned way now. Not sure how I'm gonna do that since I already have one account robbing. It's hard to forget what I already know, and I'm planning on leading the single account life for now. I probably wont be using him to rob until I get a house set up for my original account.

ack2000 wrote:

Btw the cat that controls the grid i thought would be way more elaborate. defiantly one of the most well designed houses i have ever seen.

Yeah, two buttons is pretty simple. I do like certain things from this design, however, I feel like the Jensen house was leagues above this one. Please check that out and let me know what you think over on that thread. The bottom left location was added after I already implemented hidden dances in the Jensen/Ponder house.

iceman wrote:

I absolutely LOVED this house because of one little area- the exit after scaring the cat across the center pits.  I knew you had to get up there and scare the cat down, but I couldn't figure out how it was possible to get back down there after that.  Then, suddenly, I realized- one of the powered doors to the left didn't recieve power from below.  Your house uses powered doors as walls so much that you were actually able to make a fake wall!  When I did go through that area, it felt like I was crawling through this cramped, secret tunnel that shouldn't have existed.  Pretty much the exact same feelings as going through the non-test chamber areas in Portal, actually!

The cat pit lock was an older idea that I liked but had in houses I kept self test dying in because I setup too many dogs to kill. I also disguised it so well that no one would question that it was only family defense. When I designed this one, I wanted to hint that it was possible to go through and was the gate to the centerpiece 7 way cat path. That centerpiece was way too huge and not really efficient. I've improved since then and sized down my traps.

That powered door can actually be locked. There's a way to cross the entrance without timing the trapdoor on with the cat. It involves sending the cat over then dancing just south to get the cat to power the trapdoor. This allows you to cross and go north (using the untouched dog). However since the power is set on by the cat, this would lock that door when trying to return south. My friend loved the fact that the center powered doors makes a nice "S" shape (and his char's name started with an S). I'm glad you found that tunnel so interesting. And yes, it was purposely hidden within the rest of the powered door wall smile.

p.s. If you want the map to put this up on fortress theory and play with it, I can send you the code again.

#80 2014-05-23 15:41:35

Pumaroma

I did not kill the family with the intention of acquiring more money. There were 2 reasons behind it.

1. I was sick of this house, it was beginning to plague my dreams.

2. I want to see what you come up with next.

#81 2014-05-23 22:45:03

Cylence

Pumaroma wrote:

I did not kill the family with the intention of acquiring more money. There were 2 reasons behind it.
1. I was sick of this house, it was beginning to plague my dreams.
2. I want to see what you come up with next.

I think you would have got the remake faster if ya left the wife smile
I started contemplating it when Blip popped back up since he knew the last location. I'd remodel the place before he was gonna be active. Was planning to run the change this weekend if no one broke it.

If someone did, I was gonna use the wifey money to remodel.

#82 2014-05-24 07:44:14

Pumaroma

Well you have to remake now big_smile.

By the way you are welcome to make any attempt on my house as I have changed it from the version you saw.

Board footer