The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#26 2014-11-24 04:37:47

AMWhy

Re: Any ways to bring preexisting player back into the game?

I've been doing a few santa runs too lately.  I've switched from 5 saws to 5 cutters to distinguish myself from Cullman.

#27 2014-11-24 08:19:29

Passive

I have pucked up a few of those. I was trying to leave it as I dont need the money. But it felt wrong leaving free money lieing around big_smile

#28 2014-11-24 10:10:37

voxel

Passive wrote:

I have also found that the five min idle thing really isn't five mins, as i have came back 20 mins later and still be in my house.

I looked at the source code and found that the idle time out is actually an amount between 5 min and 9 min. That doesn't explain 20 min without timing out, though.

I've done several santa runs over the last few days. I thought 5 saws was the standard, so I always drop all kinds of other stuff (sometimes 5 cutters but mostly bricks and ladders and crap). However either someone else doing a lot of santa runs, or there is a pump-and-rob scheme going on in certain houses like Larkins.

Anyway, here is my own scheme for bringing back old players:

import_screen.png

It works, but I need to fix a couple problems before releasing it.

If you can put up a 2K house in half a minute (which is easy if you have one prepared and know the solution) then I think many people would do so even if they don't care to put more effort into the game. Now, does anyone have a collection of nice 2K designs for others to adapt?

Last edited by voxel (2014-11-24 10:12:00)

#29 2014-11-24 10:16:51

Passive

Sounds very nice. Trying to think of any 2k starts that i use and wouldn't mind sharing big_smile

Also you keep talking Larkin, i think i must of robbed him at some point in the last 24 hours because he isn't on my list :S

#30 2014-11-24 10:42:34

gyuri

voxel wrote:

Now, does anyone have a collection of nice 2K designs for others to adapt?

Even better: 1k.

http://thecastledoctrine.net/forums/vie … hp?id=2387

#31 2014-11-24 10:47:48

cullman

Passive wrote:

@cullman. Sounds ok
But people could use it to build up something unbreakable as 3 days is a long time if you just spend all money you get.

That's true by keeping the value low, but again it only works for a few days.  My biggest question is what legitimate reason does anyone have to spend more money than you will make to rob a house.  One answer is to destroy a potential rival that may come attack you, I think this problem is resolved by the 2-3 day limit, you aren't going to have a big rival come up in 2-3 days, additionally that person has to keep a low amount of tools and cash on hand to keep from getting attacked.  So how dangerous could there forthcoming attack be?

#32 2014-11-24 10:47:51

JAAM

Hmm just had a thought for the reboot I'm perfectly fine with the self test deaths but what if when one occurred a players bounty and house value was evenly distributed.

Honestly I'd rather see this in TCD in case one of those top dogs dies changing their combo

Last edited by JAAM (2014-11-24 10:50:47)

You are unique, just like everybody else.

#33 2014-11-24 11:00:03

Passive

cullman wrote:
Passive wrote:

@cullman. Sounds ok
But people could use it to build up something unbreakable as 3 days is a long time if you just spend all money you get.

That's true by keeping the value low, but again it only works for a few days.  My biggest question is what legitimate reason does anyone have to spend more money than you will make to rob a house.  One answer is to destroy a potential rival that may come attack you, I think this problem is resolved by the 2-3 day limit, you aren't going to have a big rival come up in 2-3 days, additionally that person has to keep a low amount of tools and cash on hand to keep from getting attacked.  So how dangerous could there forthcoming attack be?

It could mean for the first 3 days someone could sit at $0 knowing anyone who wants to have a look around would have to do it toolless. Whilst the whole time Mr.House owner is going out robbing and slowly building up a fortress behind the scenes. True they would miss out on bounties. But in 2~3 days you could have something pretty indestructible.

Also on a playablity point of view, i wouldn't put this in at first as everyone will be eager to rob houses regardless of price just to get to know and enjoy the game.

#34 2014-11-24 11:53:10

cullman

Passive wrote:
cullman wrote:
Passive wrote:

@cullman. Sounds ok

It could mean for the first 3 days someone could sit at $0 knowing anyone who wants to have a look around would have to do it toolless. Whilst the whole time Mr.House owner is going out robbing and slowly building up a fortress behind the scenes. True they would miss out on bounties. But in 2~3 days you could have something pretty indestructible.

Also on a playablity point of view, i wouldn't put this in at first as everyone will be eager to rob houses regardless of price just to get to know and enjoy the game.

This doesn't make any sense to me.  How do you generate income if you keep your value at zero?  Tool-less robbers dropping bounties (to win a $0 vault)?  Well it would have to be a lot, and guess what your house isn't at zero any more, after the first robber dies.  Going out robbing people?  Ok so you are going to take all your tools to every robbery?  Now you are essentially playing as a chain robber with no house.  If you are going to do that, isn't it easier to not build a house at all.  This approach doesn't not have an impact in the way that you think, or really any big impact at all, unless I am missing something major.

#35 2014-11-24 12:33:49

Passive

People already do it. Take Mr.Keenan, he keeps his safe on the welcome mat. But gets money from the odd bounty when online or robing free houses or simple tool less houses. I am just waiting for when he reveals his whole map.

#36 2014-11-24 14:29:15

JAAM

aww someone just managed to crack mine for 12868 (mostly tools and bounties) congratulations good sir. Sorry to see that you spent most of it already...

now i just need a santa so i can rob some of the starter homes wives...

Nvm, That 3-4000 is gone but the house was worth more than that soooo....

Just waiting...

Last edited by JAAM (2014-11-24 15:37:38)

#37 2014-11-24 15:31:27

cullman

Passive wrote:

People already do it. Take Mr.Keenan, he keeps his safe on the welcome mat. But gets money from the odd bounty when online or robing free houses or simple tool less houses. I am just waiting for when he reveals his whole map.

How do you get a bounty with your safe on the welcome mat?

#38 2014-11-24 15:48:51

Passive

cullman wrote:
Passive wrote:

How do you get a bounty with your safe on the welcome mat?

Santa runs, Its not quiet on the mat as wife is still alive.

#39 2014-11-25 00:20:31

Passive

@JAAM Your name is D D Jackson, and you still have fixed you three toggle switches....

@M B Cole Why rebuild the same design when it has already been cracked? Just got myself an easy 13k for only about 3k....

Last edited by Passive (2014-11-25 00:33:46)

#40 2014-11-25 06:30:57

JAAM

Passive wrote:

@JAAM Your name is D D Jackson, and you still have fixed you three toggle switches....

Well it's a bit trickier there's some hidden stuff you don't quite see going on...

ill contemplate making it harder to figure out with a single door stop but i might save that for later tonight.

if i may make one request don't brute force it today. if you've figured it out great but don't start taking **** tons of water in.

by later tonight it will be ready for whatever your planning over there....

Last edited by JAAM (2014-11-25 06:31:36)

#41 2014-11-25 07:47:52

voxel

Cool, thanks! There's an awful lot of stuff in the archives of these forums, so I might do more digging.

$12868?! How did a house that required nothing but some water get so high? The thing about this game is that you have to work out what the weaknesses of your designs are and try to overcome them. Asking people not to exploit them isn't going to work (pretty sure most players don't read the forums.) It took me many attempts to learn to create a house that wasn't easy to break with $2K. For example electric grills are extremely weak defense if you can just pour water on them, but they become dangerous and far more expensive to bypass if they never turn on until the moment you step on them.

Last edited by voxel (2014-11-25 07:51:25)

#42 2014-11-25 09:37:47

Passive

JAAM wrote:
Passive wrote:

Well it's a bit trickier there's some hidden stuff you don't quite see going on...

ill contemplate making it harder to figure out with a single door stop but i might save that for later tonight.

if i may make one request don't brute force it today. if you've figured it out great but don't start taking **** tons of water in.

by later tonight it will be ready for whatever your planning over there....

If you check the last video of me you can see what i mean, all i needed to do was step on all the switches and it all the floors were turned off. I didn't go any further as last time the safe was very close and i didn't actaully want to rob you. It was more just testing if you had fixed the switches.

#43 2014-11-25 14:17:03

Passive

Roll on Cullmans reboot. Had my best house ever and got bored so when robbing and got killed in a 2k house by a wife sad

#44 2014-11-25 15:19:58

Cylence

Passive wrote:

Roll on Cullmans reboot. Had my best house ever and got bored so when robbing and got killed in a 2k house by a wife sad

Passive
I think your name was Nicolas Mark Sherry. If so, your bounty was $21,900. I apologize for my wife, she's a b*tch.

I just recently got back into thinking about house designs for this game. I wanted to play around a bit with the good old wife trap. Didn't think it would kill this fast especially in this small neighborhood. I guess I still got it smile.

I built the house on the initial $2k and then burned the money on some more dogs and pointless windows, walls, and a cat to get my value down to $100 exactly.

I'm just running around in self test, playing with some designs (mostly safe). I'll let you steal your bounty back if you message me while i'm still on. Or it'll prolly be returned to the State with a suicide, or dumped into a bunch of putbulls.

Current Life: Mark John Perez
Prev Life: Ronald Michael Jensen
Burglary: Home Invasion 101
Building: House Design 101

#45 2014-11-25 15:31:10

JAAM

JAAM wrote:
Passive wrote:

NVM someone did brute force it and i cant blame em... was way too easy... now i'm dead and there is a new house with a slightly less intimidating entrance. i figure ill wait for it to accumulate some wealth then do some nice upgrades...

#46 2014-11-25 15:32:03

Passive

Its fine you can keep it. I think i will take a break for a bit, i got my revenge on Glaze so now it all seems a bit boring.

#47 2014-11-25 15:34:50

JAAM

voxel wrote:

Cool, thanks! There's an awful lot of stuff in the archives of these forums, so I might do more digging.

$12868?! How did a house that required nothing but some water get so high? The thing about this game is that you have to work out what the weaknesses of your designs are and try to overcome them. Asking people not to exploit them isn't going to work (pretty sure most players don't read the forums.) It took me many attempts to learn to create a house that wasn't easy to break with $2K. For example electric grills are extremely weak defense if you can just pour water on them, but they become dangerous and far more expensive to bypass if they never turn on until the moment you step on them.

yeah the house was easy to break but took exactly 2100 to force strait up and most people took the wrong tools
oh please some santas appear so i can rebuild my glory!

Last edited by JAAM (2014-11-25 15:35:43)

#48 2014-11-25 15:38:05

JAAM

ohh glaze is dead i was wondering what had happend.

#49 2014-11-25 15:41:27

Cylence

Passive wrote:

Its fine you can keep it. I think i will take a break for a bit, i got my revenge on Glaze so now it all seems a bit boring.

Rivalries are fun. Have a good vacation.

JAAM wrote:

i figure ill wait for it to accumulate some wealth then do some nice upgrades...

I'd recommend just robbing to get more than the initial $2k to start building. If you do want to build a house with the initial $2k, try setting up a wife trap. You'll have to watch it closely though since it's easy to break once people have seen it.

Current Life: Mark John Perez
Prev Life: Ronald Michael Jensen
Burglary: Home Invasion 101
Building: House Design 101

#50 2014-11-25 16:01:06

JAAM

Cylence wrote:
JAAM wrote:

i figure ill wait for it to accumulate some wealth then do some nice upgrades...

I'd recommend just robbing to get more than the initial $2k to start building. If you do want to build a house with the initial $2k, try setting up a wife trap. You'll have to watch it closely though since it's easy to break once people have seen it.

most of these places are nice enough to afford 2k protection without decent scouting and i don't feel up for a long endeavor for too much besides someone already gave me the 1100 i needed to scale up my place enough...

significantly better defended and trying to brute force it might make for some funny videos...

anyone wanna mention my name while they're at it?

Last edited by JAAM (2014-11-25 16:02:36)

Board footer