The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-12-02 21:17:26

GoogleFrog

Dog stuck in destroyed wall

Hi, I recently started playing and thought I had found a bug. Upon scouring the wiki I am fairly sure it is not a bug but the fact that I had to do so reveals some unintuitive behaviour.

2XgCPaj.png
The dog which is on the destroyed wall tile refuses to leave the tile unless I move onto the button (at which point it would kill me, I tested with chihuahuas). As long as I stay to the right of the button the dog cannot kill me. I have not tested moving around the button from another direction because that would have been expensive and I have since lost the house. Is this intended behaviour? Maybe dogs fear pits.

I now think I know why this 'bug' occurs.

wiki wrote:

A pit bull will not move into a square adjacent (up, down left or right) to a dead pet, even if the pet is in a closed trap door, unless the robber is on that tile.

There is probably a dead pitbull at the bottom of the pit. The graphics show no indication of this which is a bit of a problem, maybe some flies or "smell lines" should emanate from a pit which contains a dead pet.

I am now imagining puzzles which involve dancing unseen pets into pits such that there is a safe way to pass.

#2 2013-12-03 07:31:46

dalleck

Re: Dog stuck in destroyed wall

GoogleFrog wrote:

The graphics show no indication of this which is a bit of a problem, maybe some flies or "smell lines" should emanate from a pit which contains a dead pet.

Not a bad idea.  Easy to implement too.

The rich aren't safe. Nobody is safe. -jere                   ...but the smell wafts out from the pit, obviously. - Jason Rohrer

And the more dickish they are, the more I feel like beating a house to destruction after finally figuring it out. -bey bey

#3 2013-12-04 04:53:20

joshwithguitar

You can check to see if there is a dead pet in a pit by mousing over it - the description should say "powered trapdoor[or pit]/crippled [pet type]".

#4 2013-12-04 07:47:48

iceman
Website

joshwithguitar wrote:

You can check to see if there is a dead pet in a pit by mousing over it - the description should say "powered trapdoor[or pit]/crippled [pet type]".

Except if it's not "technically" in your vision, which has happened to me a lot, so I have to get closer to be able mouseover it.

Fortress Theory Mod - New objects, tools, and paintings!

I keep dying of a natural cause - Stupidity
The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#5 2013-12-04 11:25:49

jasonrohrer
Administrator

This is a general problem with the oblique projection used in the game.  The problem with that pit is not that there's no visual representation of the animal in the bottom of it, but that the visual representation is blocked by the south-adjacent wall.  If there was no wall there, you'd see the crippled pet.

Board footer