The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-12 09:40:19

mala

low level house management

Hi, i'd like to address the issue of the "house objects refund"

right now whenever you validate an house it will lock its scheme till next validation.

now when you want to rearrange something after the validation, you need to delete the object and buy a new one even if you just have to move it by one tile. At higher level it's a drop in the bucket, but when you barely can afford a doorpit you definitively cannot afford to move it since you will lose the money and the pit.

How about a partial refund to rearrange objects inside the house?

a sort of fee due to the work you have to do to dismantle and relocate.

let me know what you think

Current Incarnation: none
Previous Houses: Ticking Nightmare - Luna's Park - Hightower Mansion - Chang's Place

#2 2014-02-12 10:41:51

Vocko1993

Re: low level house management

Great idea

+1

#3 2014-02-12 10:49:00

largestherb

digging a new pit is a lot of work. be thankful you are not charged for filling in the old ones!

if you are really watching the pennies you have to plan for the future.

#4 2014-02-12 10:54:28

monkey

I'm another new player and I feel your pain.

I assume that most people test their houses often during construction. When I test a new house, I always go back to the entrance rather than the vault so it doesn't validate. But this limits the kind of traps I can make, and forces me to use indicators and chihuahuas, which particularly sucks if your solution requires frying a dog in a logic puzzle. My current setup needs to have an electric floor on one square for the puzzle to work, but that square needs to be an indicator so that I can get back out while testing. It's a catch 22.

One fix to this problem that would still be in the spirit of the game is if after a successful test run you had the option to either validate and view your neighbors as usual OR return to your house without validating.  Of course, if your problem is wanting to move a pit after your house earned a little cash overnight, well, my suggestion doesn't help you, so I agree with your idea of at least a partial refund. Notice that dogs work exactly the way you describe, you can move them around freely between validations, so not being able to do the same with walls and pits must be deliberate. It seems like there is a lot in this game that is deliberately annoying. hmm

#5 2014-02-12 11:57:15

mala

simple example:

fresh start, i set up a nice house with just a couple of traps.

Than by watching videotapes, i realize the first one is a bit too obvious.

i can solve the problem by moving the contraption one tile to the right, but since i also have to move the only bulldog i can afford, i need to commit suicide and rebuild everything just because i cannot tell my dog to move 1 step aside, nor i can afford to suppress it and buy another one.

it feels kinda stupid

Previous Houses: Ticking Nightmare - Luna's Park - Hightower Mansion - Chang's Place

#6 2014-02-12 12:14:33

setz
Website

mala wrote:

but since i also have to move the only bulldog i can afford, i need to commit suicide and rebuild everything just because i cannot tell my dog to move 1 step aside, nor i can afford to suppress it and buy another one.

it feels kinda stupid

You CAN move the pitbull without repaying. Just make sure you have the pitbull selected in the tools first then click on the pitbull and move it. It is free.

#7 2014-02-12 14:26:41

Secret Santana

Yes I've found that pit bulls DO let you "move" them without paying again.  It's the only house object that I've found to work that way (although I haven't testing all other objects).

#8 2014-02-12 14:52:16

setz
Website

All objects work that way. Unless it was broken or something. (i.e. Broken wall has to be repayed for)

#9 2014-02-12 14:59:50

colorfusion

setz wrote:

All objects work that way. Unless it was broken or something. (i.e. Broken wall has to be repayed for)

Only until you've confirmed them with a self test, after that you don't get any money from destroying them and placing new ones costs money again. I think the exceptions are:

• Vault

• Chihuahua

• Cat

• Pitbull

• Wife

• Son

• Daughter

• Panic button

• Shotgun

#10 2014-02-12 15:00:10

JoeBlow

setz wrote:

EDITED: Previous post to mine has a more complete list.

Last edited by JoeBlow (2014-02-12 15:01:12)

#11 2014-02-12 18:02:00

mala

setz wrote:

You CAN move the pitbull without repaying. Just make sure you have the pitbull selected in the tools first then click on the pitbull and move it. It is free.

that's great news big_smile

at least i don't have to put it out of its misery just because it doesn't want to move big_smile

#12 2014-02-12 18:08:01

Lord0fHam

monkey wrote:

I'm another new player and I feel your pain.

I assume that most people test their houses often during construction. When I test a new house, I always go back to the entrance rather than the vault so it doesn't validate. But this limits the kind of traps I can make, and forces me to use indicators and chihuahuas, which particularly sucks if your solution requires frying a dog in a logic puzzle. My current setup needs to have an electric floor on one square for the puzzle to work, but that square needs to be an indicator so that I can get back out while testing. It's a catch 22.

One fix to this problem that would still be in the spirit of the game is if after a successful test run you had the option to either validate and view your neighbors as usual OR return to your house without validating.  Of course, if your problem is wanting to move a pit after your house earned a little cash overnight, well, my suggestion doesn't help you, so I agree with your idea of at least a partial refund. Notice that dogs work exactly the way you describe, you can move them around freely between validations, so not being able to do the same with walls and pits must be deliberate. It seems like there is a lot in this game that is deliberately annoying. hmm

about using chihuahuas to simulate traps: if you are disappointed that you can't fry them on an indicator, all you have to do is walk on top of them when they were supposed to die. then it will be on the same space as you and won't do anything.

It's a trap!

#13 2014-02-12 20:12:07

iceman
Website

Not quite true - if 2 dogs are walking beside each other, they'll interfere with each other depending on which way they're going.  If your house depends on having a pitbull 1 step behind you, and there's a chihuahua underneath you, it'll throw the pitbull (or other chihuahua) off.  Just try this simple experiment - put 2 chihuahuas beside each other, step on one, then take a few steps to the right, and a few steps to the left.  It'll be different spacing for each direction.

If that doesn't matter in your house, then yes, stepping on the chihuahua will work (assuming the step itself doesn't throw anything off)

Fortress Theory Mod - New objects, tools, and paintings!

I keep dying of a natural cause - Stupidity
The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

Board footer