The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#26 2014-02-13 16:00:51

Pandamonium

Re: Stop Getting Brute-Forced! The Modular Theory of House Design

joshwithguitar wrote:
redxaxder wrote:

I'll just leave this here...

http://castledraft.com/editor/nLABeP

Hmm, brick the cat, take 2 steps, club the dog.

Nice idea though smile. Possibly this would work better: http://castledraft.com/editor/eIKbHc

Of course, one gun is cheaper to buy than 4 saws, but guns are much less common to find lying around and less likely to be held by a robber.

I don't get what that design is trying to do/prevent?

#27 2014-02-13 17:28:52

jere

For the top houses, saws are practically free. Not only are saws cheap, but they're common, which means the vaults of top houses are filled to the brim with them.

If a bruteforce robber gets to a wooden wall, they can basically explore anything connected to it electrically for free. So giant wired traps become useless.

The idea here is you want to put some other obstacle in the way. Dogs are probably the easiest way to do this. So you let the robber keep a few saws, but present them with a dog instead that has to be shot. The buy cost is roughly the same, but fewer used guns are floating around out there.

For my money, I'd just give up on wooden walls at this point.

Golden Krone Hotel - a vampire roguelike

#28 2014-02-13 17:31:39

redxaxder

The buy cost is roughly the same, but the majority of their saws are not bought; they're either stolen or inherited. Guns they might actually have to pay for.

#29 2014-02-14 02:45:27

Kimenzar

joshwithguitar wrote:

Although it is possible to brute-force anything, you first need the money. It is possible to build a house that will most likely survive the entire fortune of one the current top players being spent on it. As Mr Price I had someone come in with $120k of tools and fail. Not too many players are going to be willing to spend more money than you hold busting into your house so as long as you can defend against that amount you should most likely be fine unless someone extremely rich sees you as a threat.

As Blip says, making sure that a player cannot just use there large collection of saws to smash through is important. Modules is a great idea and houses with disconnected elements are generally the hardest to bust through. When brute forcing I generally take lots of saws and only a few explosives and ladders and this tends to work for most houses.

I think that was me the second time i visited you. I was on a portrait hunt. If you had that house where you will be locked out by a cat running into unpowered doors. I tried to go for all elektronik, but only found your wife(100k). After that you robbed my house, and you runned out of guns short before you got to my wife, but you got my vault with my portaits (Fortunately i was on another robbing tour that went successful). And tried a second time and knew there was one place of electronic that i didnt had enough saws before. After i realised that no electronic power the doors from outside and this cat locked me out and no crowbars or money was left my fairly good run was over. ;_;

But in this run I realised or short before that electronic is the biggest weakness in a house and that your inside powered catdoor was a well designed trap that i never expected(Next time i will know neutral ). It gave me an idea for my next big house

#30 2014-02-14 05:39:30

joshwithguitar

Hey Kimenzar, welcome to the forums!

I don't think you came in with quite 120k worth of tools, that was someone else, but yeah, you did come with quite a few. The run 120k was a chain robber that left his house completely exposed with a bunch of paintings in it (although no money as he burnt it all on me).

When it came to me robbing your house I didn't intend to get your wife - I was just wiping out your dogs. If I'd really wanted to get your wife I would have bashed through your concrete walls to conserve guns.

#31 2014-02-14 22:32:46

Storm

nathan wrote:

this design was mostly based on psychology.

those are the best ones. the fun thing about this game is it's directly mind vs mind. you don't need to practice muscle memory or reinforce game mechanics four hours a day to stay competitive (require additional pylons), its your head against theirs and that's it. you can use that to your advantage. get into their head. whats a simple example? most robbers are very cautious, make a trap that they have to run straight through to pass. any stutter-stepping, movements in another direction and they die. This can be implemented with a magic dance setup, only, if they magic dance they die, if they bravely (stupidly?) run straight through they will survive. throw things in just to confuse the hell out of them and get them to second-guess themselves. even randomly placed pits along their path can unnerve them into pressing the wrong button.

Last edited by Storm (2014-02-14 22:36:32)

#32 2014-02-14 22:54:18

iceman
Website

I am definitely a fan of using psychology to build houses.  Even my temporary combo locks have mindgames in them!

Fortress Theory Mod - New objects, tools, and paintings!

I keep dying of a natural cause - Stupidity
The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#33 2014-02-14 22:55:49

Storm

your days are numbered josh. you may have a year ahead, but I'm a lot faster than you.

Board footer