The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#76 2014-02-14 18:13:40

joshwithguitar

Re: Suggestions Page

Smegskull wrote:

Is a non sticky button plausible? we have switches to toggle on and off and we have a once on stay on button but no button that is only on when stood on. an example for use would be a powered trap-door that will only let you through if some thing is following you or a cat running from you to the button you have to be the correct distance behind it for it to be up when you walk over it

Pretty much anything you'd like to do with momentary pressure buttons is possible through clever use of wiring and electronics.

For the two examples you gave above, the first can be achieved by just using the classic electric floor - trapdoor commit gate:
http://castledraft.com/editor/vgnrdR

The second can be simply done with two switches that the cat treads on one after the other:
http://castledraft.com/editor/Y0WfVq

More complex things can be done by having you have to tread on a switch at the same time as a dog treads on a separate switch. To do this you can us a similar setup to ukuko's design here: http://thecastledoctrine.net/forums/vie … 8878#p8878. Using something like this you could have a door open for you only if you have a dog following you down a hall (you'd have to start the dogs switch "on").

#77 2014-02-14 18:16:46

sebastian

2 things would be nice:
A video of your successful self-test, that could appear in the video list as a successful robbery of 0$ and name "You". Thats completely logic, why would your security camera not record when you are visiting your own house?
This would make it easy to see if traps are really deadly if you would not do your magic dances and such. You could literally see your traps deactivate.

Possibility to search the video list. Possible search terms could be:
Bringed at least of the following Tools in your house. (with the addition of "Any tool")
Minimum number of steps
Maximum number of steps
Did die or not or all

So if I search for lets say: Tools = 2 Any, 1 Ladder, 1 Wire Cutters and 1 Water, minimum 10 steps and maximum 100 steps, and did die.
it would only show videos where someone bringed a total of 5 Tools, where one tool is ladder, one Wire cutter and one Water, and did use at least 10 and a maximum of 100 steps, and did die during robbery.

Showing all videos could be accomplished by setting Tools to "NONE", Minsteps = 0, Maxsteps = 0 and answer "all" on the did die or not.

#78 2014-02-14 18:53:58

Pandamonium

sebastian wrote:

Thats completely logic, why would your security camera not record when you are visiting your own house?

I like this idea, the only downsides would be

1. the security tapes log will get a lot larger. I'm guessing this is held server side.

2. OCD players like myself would have to "view" it to clear out the green colour

#79 2014-02-14 19:09:05

iceman
Website

joshwithguitar wrote:
Smegskull wrote:

Is a non sticky button plausible? we have switches to toggle on and off and we have a once on stay on button but no button that is only on when stood on. an example for use would be a powered trap-door that will only let you through if some thing is following you or a cat running from you to the button you have to be the correct distance behind it for it to be up when you walk over it

Pretty much anything you'd like to do with momentary pressure buttons is possible through clever use of wiring and electronics.

For the two examples you gave above, the first can be achieved by just using the classic electric floor - trapdoor commit gate:

The second can be simply done with two switches that the cat treads on one after the other:

More complex things can be done by having you have to tread on a switch at the same time as a dog treads on a separate switch. To do this you can us a similar setup to ukuko's design here: http://thecastledoctrine.net/forums/vie … 8878#p8878. Using something like this you could have a door open for you only if you have a dog following you down a hall (you'd have to start the dogs switch "on").

I'm going to copy this over from the same thread you linked to (I think I meant to post it here in the first place, but got distracted by the other thread wink)

iceman wrote:

Like I thought, everything's already in place to make a "Non-toggle Pressure switch".  I just had to switch the first of these lines to the second:

mobile # toggle_switch:2 => 1
noMobile # toggle_switch:2 => 1

Here's a video of it in action

http://www.twitch.tv/theiceman76/b/503399753

(Glad to know your server's headless client is working wink )

It would let you do something like this:
http://castledraft.com/editor/sEaIef

Although you could do something similar with ukuko's design, if you don't have a dog following you it's trivial to press both buttons.  Also, without using electronics, if you succeed in ukuko's once, it stays powered, whereas a non-toggle switch would be unpowered afterwards.

Fortress Theory Mod - New objects, tools, and paintings!

I keep dying of a natural cause - Stupidity
The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#80 2014-02-14 19:19:50

sebastian

Pandamonium: It could simply Always be White.

#81 2014-02-14 19:54:19

Pandamonium

sebastian wrote:

Pandamonium: It could simply Always be White.

HAHA, I know wink I just wanted to make sure it was raised. In case this does end up happening smile

#82 2014-02-14 20:21:55

Blip

I really don't like the idea of a "momentary pressure button", it would just encourage magic dances and make electronics more compact. Currently, the ability to break into the dog chamber, solve a magic dance, and leave is very important as a weakness for that system. With the momentary button, magic dances would be too powerful.

Also, it's good to have electronic devices employing dogs and buttons be hard to build and take up space. Shrinking them by adding these new buttons only makes those designs too secure.

Current life: Not dead, but I have no clue who I am
The Life and Times of Christopher Alvin Harris
Record: 149 Paintings!

#83 2014-02-14 21:20:16

joshwithguitar

iceman wrote:

Although you could do something similar with ukuko's design, if you don't have a dog following you it's trivial to press both buttons.  Also, without using electronics, if you succeed in ukuko's once, it stays powered, whereas a non-toggle switch would be unpowered afterwards.

I'm not sure what you mean by "it's trivial to press both buttons" - ukuko's design requires both to be pressed at the same time so you can only press them both with a dog following you. On the second point it is quite possible to make the door disable once you step off the button, although it will require a bit more electronics.

#84 2014-02-14 21:33:24

iceman
Website

You're right - I was just going from memory, and I guess I hadn't looked at it closely enough to see exactly what was happening.

As for what Blip said, I think I agree about it being better to not have them anyways.  It's similar to wired concrete walls and rotating voltage switches in that adding it will condense and protect traps that probably shouldn't be that secure or effective.  Although you can make a MD that requires a dog pressing the buttons, it needs electric floors with trapdoors, instead of just all trapdoors.

Fortress Theory Mod - New objects, tools, and paintings!

I keep dying of a natural cause - Stupidity
The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#85 2014-02-15 09:05:05

Smegskull

joshwithguitar wrote:
Smegskull wrote:

yes I know it can be done with clever electronics but it is a button since when did a button require clever electronics and lots of space?

#86 2014-02-15 13:14:00

42dustman

Sell paintings.

Self-testing is torture.

#87 2014-02-15 17:34:19

joshwithguitar

Smegskull wrote:

yes I know it can be done with clever electronics but it is a button since when did a button require clever electronics and lots of space?

Jason is interested in reducing redundancy and so I imagine would only add such a button if it provided interesting new possibilities, which I'm arguing it doesn't. Both examples I put up take up very little space and fulfil the purpose that you intended.

#88 2014-02-22 14:43:47

42dustman

Don't force self-test on new life if no changes were made to the starting state of the house. That would save some precious little seconds for a lot of people.

Self-testing is torture.

#89 2014-02-23 23:03:13

Cam_X

The newly addicted player. But I am poor again.

I am starting to realize how stacked the game is against poor people.

I'm good at building the $1700 house ($300 vault) that will defend itself against $2000 players and higher. But two deaths and my vault is above $1000. (or 2000 in tools) This attracts the rich people Who will  come down to my slums and attack me with 5K of tools.

With the high price of tools I can't make a decent robbery without first having somebody die in my house.

Even if I spend money on tools most $1-2K vaults are people pretending to be poor. (why the rich come to my neighborhood?) so i scout the $1-300 houses looking for something i can get with 100 in tools to turn a profit. but i quickly find out most of these houses have been robed OR can defend $100 me.

This is happened many many times, it feels like I'm caught in a Catch-22. the way i end up playing the game, is ether 1) scout and rob for no profit or 2) build. The game is fun when you get enough funds, but Getting started im getting frustrated.

Maybe when your house is above a certain value you shouldn't be able to attack lower value homes. I mean I can't tell you how many times people walked into my starter homes with three times The value of my home in tools.

Last edited by Cam_X (2014-02-24 00:39:26)

#90 2014-02-23 23:40:40

42dustman

Cam_X wrote:

The newly addicted player. But I am poor again. And I need advice.

I am starting to realize how stacked the game is against poor people.

I'm good at building the $1700 house ($300 vault) that will defend itself against $2000 players and higher. But two deaths and my house is above $1000. (or 2000 in tools) This attracts the rich people Who will  come down to my slums and attack me with 5K of tools.

With the high price of tools I can't make a decent robbery without first having somebody die in my house.

Even if I spend money on tools most $1-2K houses are people pretending to be poor. OS i scout the $1-300 houses looking for something i can get with 100 in tools to turn a profit. but i quickly find out most of these houses have been robed or can defend 2k of tools like me.

This is happened many many times, it feels like I'm caught in a Catch-22. the way i end up playing the game is ether scout and rob for no profit or build. The game is fun when you get enough funds, but Geting started im getting frustrated.

Maybe when your house is above a certain value you shouldn't be able to attack lower value homes. I mean I can't tell you how many times people walked into my starter homes with three times The value of my home in tools.

Any advice?

Make a new thread for that.

Self-testing is torture.

#91 2014-02-24 00:23:46

Cam_X

well here is the meat... Maybe when your house is above a certain value you shouldn't be able to attack lower value homes (that is HOME VALUE not Vault loot). I mean I can't tell you how many times people walked into my starter homes with three times The value of my home in tools.

Last edited by Cam_X (2014-02-24 00:36:43)

#92 2014-03-06 02:47:56

eppfel
Website

MasterPain wrote:

-Keyboard shortcuts

I would really like to play this game more by keyboard. Except for the building process, you could cycle through the buttons by "tab", use "enter" to confirm your selection and arrow keys to go through lists. Additionally you could provide shortcuts to the buttons by highlighting the corresponding letters/keys.
I don't know how much work it would be, because I don't know the framework.
But for example in neighborhood view I type the name of the house owner and hit return to search and then I always want to hit enter again to rob. ^^

If desired I can create a consistent mapping of all the actions and keys.

#93 2014-03-07 04:34:46

Nakula

new tool: camera tap. tap into security camera and see the entire view of the current screen. price would be very high. maybe 10k

#94 2014-03-07 21:46:08

DarkKat48

Two quick suggestions.  One is a new house object, rugs.  They could be used to cover regular pitfalls or switches or even just upon a blank floor as a red herring.  A brick tossed upon it would drop the rug into the pit if it indeed covered one, pressed an associated switch under or simple crumble if it was concrete under the floor.  I could at least envision some  unique mazes that could benefit from that other than having a pitbull chasing you through it.

Second idea relates to being idle in your house too long while self testing.  I noticed it does not warn you that five idle minutes = death though it is implied it is simply just like robbing anyone else.  I was self testing and had to unfortunate go afk for longer than I hoped to help my wife, when I returned of course I was dead even though there was clearly a safe path back to the exit.  Could it be possible at least for self tests when idle as long as there is a safe path back to reset the house the same way it does during build mode?  I understand not having all self testing reset a person because if you corner yourself in your own trap you deserve the death you devised but if it is all chihuahua's and indicator lights it could just dump you back to the neighborhood screen.

#95 2014-03-08 01:37:41

StefanLindskog

I like your rug idea. I'm sure iceman, if not Jason, will hear you out on it. As for the second idea, I think this game needs to be exactly as harsh as it is.

Current life: Unknown

Rotary toggle switches... Sooooo sexy.

#96 2014-03-08 01:46:21

gyuri

Suggestion for a new tool: a stick. You can throw it somewhere to make a dog go there.

#97 2014-03-08 09:16:13

mala

I love the idea of being able to test with tools, we have learnt how to simulate wirecutters and saws but there's no way to test animals placement because we cannot simulate their death.

If i want to try a new Family protection path (pitbulls, cats, pits) i just have to assume it will work, chihuahuas are useless for that kind of test.

Current Incarnation: none
Previous Houses: Ticking Nightmare - Luna's Park - Hightower Mansion - Chang's Place

#98 2014-03-09 23:48:05

DarkKat48

StefanLindskog wrote:

I like your rug idea. I'm sure iceman, if not Jason, will hear you out on it. As for the second idea, I think this game needs to be exactly as harsh as it is.

Your right about how harsh the game needs to be.  I should of just exited the house before heading afk and it was my own fault.  Glad you like the rug idea, I'm hoping this game continues to be tinkered with and grow.  It is addictive and fun.  I'm really glad I went to the youtub and watched Aavak, Rooster Teeth and a few others showcasing this game.   Now I'm trying to get a friend to buy it as well, he seems interested.

#99 2014-03-10 03:22:53

Nakula

SOUND EFFECTS. every step i take i want to hear a footstep. when electric floors kick on there should be a BZZ! or when a dog kills someone there should be a growl. windows smashed. sizzling power sources when water is poured. a thud when a door is opened with a  brick. the list goes on. i want sound effects

Board footer