The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#51 2014-04-12 14:31:31

iceman
Website

Re: The Painting Directory

Blip wrote:

Are you going to post your design? I'd be interested to see how it looks!

By the way, there have been a couple painting owners who have lost their paintings. I was chain robbing the top pages today and hit some of them along the way.

Yeah, I'm just getting some tapes and the most recent mapshot ready, then I'll write about it.

Thanks for letting me know- if you remember their names, just update the google doc.  I'm wanting to edit the snapshot only every once in a while, and to be as much hands-off for the "current" list as much as possible.

Fortress Theory Mod - New objects, tools, and paintings!

I keep dying of a natural cause - Stupidity
The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#52 2014-04-12 14:55:18

Blip

I know I took down Lord0fHam (aka Mr. Buckley), as revenge for the death of Harris. I'm glad that he's finally fallen after his house killed such a great man.

Current life: Not dead, but I have no clue who I am
The Life and Times of Christopher Alvin Harris
Record: 149 Paintings!

#53 2014-04-12 14:57:33

Lord0fHam

Blip, I just robbed you back and got them all back. Next time, leave some defenses. next time, it won't be as easy.

It's a trap!

#54 2014-04-12 15:02:48

Blip

Lord0fHam wrote:

Blip, I just robbed you back and got them all back. Next time, leave some defenses. next time, it won't be as easy.

Well... shit. I did not realize you were online at the time, and wanted to keep going with my chain robbing.

Edit: Wait, are you off the list right now?

Last edited by Blip (2014-04-12 15:04:20)

#55 2014-04-12 15:06:34

Lord0fHam

I wasn't actually online at the time, i think i just came on a few seconds after you had finished and then got to your house before anyone else. And yes, my house is down right now for improvements. you aren't getting me again anytime soon. Well, you probably will but i can hope. By the way, loving the harris story.

Last edited by Lord0fHam (2014-04-12 15:07:27)

It's a trap!

#56 2014-04-12 15:21:37

Lord0fHam

also blip, were you scouting or did you just guess where to go?

It's a trap!

#57 2014-04-12 15:35:30

Blip

Lord0fHam wrote:

also blip, were you scouting or did you just guess where to go?

I had my plans to cut up through those wired wooden walls seared into my mind when Harris died, along with every other part of your trap that I had seen. As for blowing through the concrete, I just saw that it was one wall thick at a point, at took the opportunity.

Honestly, I should have just suicided and put those paintings up for auction.

Also, its incredibly frustrating to know that Harris died because I wanted to brick a door that had nothing behind it!

Last edited by Blip (2014-04-12 15:36:42)

#58 2014-04-12 15:41:27

Lord0fHam

thats the point of those doors. but maybe not when i'm done… mwahahaha

It's a trap!

#59 2014-04-13 09:17:53

Blip

Ham, where's your house gone? I don't see it on the list...

Also, Scott: why won't you die already? At least change your final trap...

Last edited by Blip (2014-04-13 09:21:13)

#60 2014-04-13 09:41:59

MMaster

Blip wrote:

Also, Scott: why won't you die already? At least change your final trap...

I knew it was you! You always find some ultra stupid mistake I make - I was really disappointed I've made perfect magic dance with several cats/dogs and failed to manage one simple thing that made your trip so much easier. I don't want to die yet, but I have to say that I risk my life much more recently smile You are my only real "debugger" and I'm sorry that you had to watch my final trap fail 2nd time wink

It was not my intention but it seems that my current goal is to get back to 1st place as many times as I can with the same character (currently it was 3rd time smile )

#61 2014-04-13 09:46:10

Blip

Firstly, MMaster, I would like to apologize for losing your $100k fortune in self test. Also, a simple tip: always make sure to kill cats after they've been used.

As for your magic dance, I'd really like to see why the wiring takes up so much space. Is it really necessary to use that big of an area in your house for something that can be cracked with 15-ish wire cutters?

#62 2014-04-13 10:04:34

Blip

I got Kane and Geyer, but somebody grabbed Geyer's painting from my empty vault.

I put Kane's art back to auction.

Last edited by Blip (2014-04-13 10:05:07)

#63 2014-04-13 10:09:52

MMaster

Blip wrote:

Firstly, MMaster, I would like to apologize for losing your $100k fortune in self test. Also, a simple tip: always make sure to kill cats after they've been used.

As for your magic dance, I'd really like to see why the wiring takes up so much space. Is it really necessary to use that big of an area in your house for something that can be cracked with 15-ish wire cutters?

No problem - I've had that much money only because I wanted someone serious to come.

Regarding the magic dance - one day you will find out (hopefully there won't be any more stupid mistakes smile )

Last edited by MMaster (2014-04-13 12:26:04)

#64 2014-04-13 13:44:58

Blip

Lord0fHam wrote:

thats the point of those doors. but maybe not when i'm done… mwahahaha

Did you die in self-test or something? I can't seem to find you on the list.

#65 2014-04-13 13:45:51

Lord0fHam

nope. i'm building.

It's a trap!

#66 2014-04-13 13:48:03

Blip

For multiple hours? I haven't seen you on the list since yesterday!

#67 2014-04-13 13:56:05

Lord0fHam

It's taking a really long time to plan out. I'm completely redesigning 2 areas, and strengthening the weak point you showed me as well as some other areas.

It's a trap!

#68 2014-04-13 15:01:35

Lord0fHam

I'm sure you're real sad that you can't get in.

It's a trap!

#69 2014-04-13 15:13:36

Blip

Case is down. big_smile

Edit: And I'm dead. Enjoy the bounty, Mr. Black! I'll be back soon!

Last edited by Blip (2014-04-13 15:37:47)

#70 2014-04-13 16:27:01

Cylence

Blip wrote:

I got Kane and Geyer, but somebody grabbed Geyer's painting from my empty vault...

2 questions for BLIP,
Geyer is my friend (doesn't participate on the forums).
I ended up designing his house for him and when he saw you crack it, he swore he'd been gotten taken by some hacker.
I reviewed the tape, and surprisingly enough you brought just enough tools (2 saws, 6 explosives).
Although, I don't think you're hacking the maps from what you've been posting.

The only thing that makes sense to me is that you've got a "funded" alt scout. Something I hadn't prepared that design for.
Moving south with a dog chasing you and no safe path definitely meant it was a suicide scout, not a safe probe. So the main purpose of the trip was to see what was down there. The design was unprepared for high budget suicide scout besides a chain robber. However the difference would be the chain robber wouldn't take that path since they are trying to hit the vault (not just scout an area and die).

1. Can you let me know if that scout was chain robbing to gather the funds for 2 saws and 6 explosives, or were you somehow passing tools to him? After thinking about it, might be possible with a alt2 vault holding tools, and you transfer it by having an alt1 scout rob your alt2 tool bank while the alt2 carries the tools he doesn't want to transfer in a backpack. Either way, it's something I have to prepare for now, but it would be nice to know how you're doing it. smile

2. Were you surprised the vault was there? I actually designed a bunch of puzzles and the vault was originally at the end of them. However, my friend got too nervous running the full no tool solution so I had to make another alternate vault location that was easier to get to. Hence why it was so close. Anyway, he said he's done for awhile, and wanted me to house sit. I ended up moving the vault back to my original intended first location (at the end of the puzzles). We'll see if he cools off and comes back before it gets cracked.

Note: I don't want this to turn into a b*tch thread about multiple accounts. There's already plenty of those. So please do not reply with complaints. I just want to hear about Blip's process so I can confirm my suspicions and maybe hear his process so I can better design against it and adapt.

Current Life: Mark John Perez
Prev Life: Ronald Michael Jensen
Burglary: Home Invasion 101
Building: House Design 101

#71 2014-04-13 16:52:01

eppfel
Website

Blip wrote:

Case is down. big_smile

Damn, that should have been a house against brute-force and you took the straightest path to the vault, with just the right tools. Could you break down your decisions or was just crush trough the first wall?
I was just preparing to get Seamans paintings to combine wealth and paintings. So, the competition goes on.

Last edited by eppfel (2014-04-13 16:53:40)

#72 2014-04-13 17:14:28

Shadezy

Darron Isaac Cannon's paintings are up for sale in the auction house. I made the foolish, foolish mistake of trying to rob and watch youtube videos at the same time...

Live. Die. Repeat.

#73 2014-04-13 17:35:53

Blip

Cylence wrote:
Blip wrote:

I got Kane and Geyer, but somebody grabbed Geyer's painting from my empty vault...

2 questions for BLIP,
The only thing that makes sense to me is that you've got a "funded" alt scout. Something I hadn't prepared that design for.
Moving south with a dog chasing you and no safe path definitely meant it was a suicide scout, not a safe probe. So the main purpose of the trip was to see what was down there. The design was unprepared for high budget suicide scout besides a chain robber. However the difference would be the chain robber wouldn't take that path since they are trying to hit the vault (not just scout an area and die).

What I've been attempting this weekend is a tactic I call "double chaining". I'll have two robbing chains going simultaneously, so that the shorter, less valuable chain can essentially do funded suicide scouting for the longer chain. It's very effective at rapidly dismantling wealthy houses - essentially, I can do suicide scouting with lots of tools. The cost is massive collateral damage to the neighborhood, notably in the many houses I've used to build up my chains.

2. Were you surprised the vault was there? I actually designed a bunch of puzzles and the vault was originally at the end of them. However, my friend got too nervous running the full no tool solution so I had to make another alternate vault location that was easier to get to. Hence why it was so close. Anyway, he said he's done for awhile, and wanted me to house sit. I ended up moving the vault back to my original intended first location (at the end of the puzzles). We'll see if he cools off and comes back before it gets cracked.

I was absolutely shocked. My only plan was to see whether the wife was located in the bottom or top corner; it's surprising how one can tell the approximate vault location from the wife path location and the initial curvature of the entrance path. I had assumed that the wife would be at the bottom, and the trap would go up, then down, then back up along the far wall to the vault. I just wanted a quick scout to check, so I tossed a very short chain at it. I was ready to either find a solid wall or a pit-bull waiting ahead of me.

eppfel wrote:
Blip wrote:

Case is down. big_smile

Damn, that should have been a house against brute-force and you took the straightest path to the vault, with just the right tools. Could you break down your decisions or was just crush trough the first wall?
I was just preparing to get Seamans paintings to combine wealth and paintings. So, the competition goes on.

As I just said, it's easy to guess vault location from wife location and path curvature. I was guessing at a bottom right vault from the beginning.

Here's the logic behind that robbery:
1. I knew already what the entrance, up to the annoying powered doors, looked like. So I knew that I didn't need to cut those opening electric floors, and that some torches could keep me safe. The crowbars I brought were as a backup for this section; I didn't realize they would come in handy later.
2. I figured I'd try to sweep across the top, and then down, and that's what I did at first. Then, those pits at the top got in my way; I wanted to save my ladders. Thus, I followed what seemed to be the intentional path, although cutting my way through it.
3. Still hoping for a bottom right vault, I chose the bottom path for the set of commit gates. A dead end presented me with a way to hop to the next part of the trap for two ladders. I decided to take you up on that offer. As I could clearly see that the next wall was only one tile thick, I figured why not keep cutting. I found myself on a downwards path - exactly where I wanted to be.
4. I'm still not sure of the solution to that last section. I'm just glad that I had those crowbars I didn't use from earlier.

I guess my strategy was sort of a crush-though-the-first-wall approach, but with some intelligence. I tried to cut through weak spots, and use open paths when they were provided. Overall, that place was very pricey to crack - but I came off with a profit which I quickly wasted.

#74 2014-04-14 02:05:00

eppfel
Website

Blip wrote:

I guess my strategy was sort of a crush-though-the-first-wall approach, but with some intelligence. I tried to cut through weak spots, and use open paths when they were provided. Overall, that place was very pricey to crack - but I came off with a profit which I quickly wasted.

Yeah, you really helped the inflation in TCD. Now there is no house above $40k ^^

I guess without a wife I try to recover and adapt to your tactics and than you can try again.

#75 2014-04-14 14:30:59

Cylence

Blip wrote:

What I've been attempting this weekend is a tactic I call "double chaining".

How do you hold onto the value when you run the chains? i.e. do you have a house with one of them, because I'm not sure how you would alternate robbing with each and not get the tools stolen. ..Or maybe you just house sit with the inactive one and jiggle the mouse?

Blip wrote:

I was absolutely shocked. My only plan was to see whether the wife was located in the bottom or top corner; it's surprising how one can tell the approximate vault location from the wife path location and the initial curvature of the entrance path. I had assumed that the wife would be at the bottom, and the trap would go up, then down, then back up along the far wall to the vault. I just wanted a quick scout to check, so I tossed a very short chain at it. I was ready to either find a solid wall or a pit-bull waiting ahead of me.

The dead daughter actually prevents the family (assumed alive) from being on the bottom path, since they block family movement. Just a tip if you see dead family. I was hoping that would tip off family killers and cause them to go up where they would spend upwards of 30 guns to find... well, the whereabouts of his family will be undisclosed. smile

I let him know how you did it but he's still reeling from the loss. His first big loss.

Current Life: Mark John Perez
Prev Life: Ronald Michael Jensen
Burglary: Home Invasion 101
Building: House Design 101

Board footer