The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-05-05 18:55:42

Blip

I'm an Idiot + The Mills House Map

Mr Mills is dead. And from walking directly into an activated electric floor, that I thought was an indicator light.
Here's the house.

7xxxM1J.png

I was in the process of installing an electric floor directly in front of the third trapdoor (where the vertical wire is currently located). For the purposes of testing, I replaced everything with indicator lights... except the electric floor in question. After completing a step-count test to confirm that I could viably add a floor there, I walked left and directly onto the (now activated) floor. Bye, Mills.

Last edited by Blip (2014-05-05 20:21:47)

Current life: Not dead, but I have no clue who I am
The Life and Times of Christopher Alvin Harris
Record: 149 Paintings!

#2 2014-05-05 19:03:55

iceman
Website

Re: I'm an Idiot + The Mills House Map

I'm really sorry, but I burst out laughing when I read this.  You looked like you had a really good chance at collecting all paintings, and out of nowhere *BAM*!!!
Game over.

Fortress Theory Mod - New objects, tools, and paintings!

I keep dying of a natural cause - Stupidity
The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#3 2014-05-05 19:15:41

mala

iceman wrote:

I'm really sorry, but I burst out laughing when I read this.  You looked like you had a really good chance at collecting all paintings, and out of nowhere *BAM*!!!
Game over.

that

Current Incarnation: none
Previous Houses: Ticking Nightmare - Luna's Park - Hightower Mansion - Chang's Place

#4 2014-05-05 19:29:17

tigerbalm immunity

sweet house blip, i dig the gun-requiring dogs at the end of the first half of the north east combo lock.  do you think you can be back on top in less than, say, 48 hours?

Watch out for that first step; it's a doozy.

Currently dead

#5 2014-05-05 19:31:32

MrTeakettle

I knew something crazy had happened when I looked at the auction page, and there were more then 3 paintings. Self tests, the only thing that can take down blip...

#6 2014-05-05 20:00:15

Cylence

Ouch

Current Life: Mark John Perez
Prev Life: Ronald Michael Jensen
Burglary: Home Invasion 101
Building: House Design 101

#7 2014-05-05 20:19:49

Blip

iceman wrote:

Game over.

I don't know what it says about me that I did the same thing when I died: I chuckled as I saw my small collection of pixels dead before me. It wasn't horrifying, nor heart-wrenching, but funny. I've just been playing this game too long to really feel angry; it's just all part of the experience.

tigerbalm immunity wrote:

sweet house blip, i dig the gun-requiring dogs at the end of the first half of the north east combo lock.  do you think you can be back on top in less than, say, 48 hours?

Maybe, with really good luck, I could, but I won't be trying. I've been really, really busy lately, and Mills wasn't due to a real concerted effort to take down top houses, but a lot of luck and a few hours of downtime. The only really good and unique trap in that house was the top-left one, anyways, and that only came about after two different revisions. I'll probably be back playing more seriously in about a month, if there are still other players by then. Anyways, for now, au revoir.

Last edited by Blip (2014-05-05 20:21:11)

#8 2014-05-05 20:26:52

TheRealCheese

Blip wrote:

I don't know what it says about me that I did the same thing when I died: I chuckled as I saw my small collection of pixels dead before me. It wasn't horrifying, nor heart-wrenching, but funny. I've just been playing this game too long to really feel angry; it's just all part of the experience.

When I die, these days, I get a very short heartsinking feeling, then a short "heh, that was dumb" thought along with a chuckle and then I've moved on.

#9 2014-05-05 21:18:32

GotABigTrap

So I guess the housewarming is cancelled.  Yeah I've died so much in this game with a good house I don't really even feel the pain of it anymore. 

To be honest all your knowledge carries over.  I like experimenting with new stuff.

#10 2014-05-05 21:31:38

Lord0fHam

This game is a good lesson in learning how to cope with loss. the first time i died, i was horrified. Now when i die or get robbed with a  big house, I don't even care.

It's a trap!

#11 2014-05-06 01:48:54

eppfel
Website

Damn it, Blip! Again you die before I get your paintings. I was just too tired to pull it off last night.
When I realized, that your house was easy to scout and saw something that looked like a code lock, I was thrilled.
I'm wondering, did I push another good house owner into selftest-death? That seems to be my curse..
Is the house from the mapshot successfully self-tested? I like the top left corner trap. Took me some time to figure it out seeing it and its revision was really necessary wink
I agree that the house was not your best one. It screamed vault in the bottom right corner and the cat in the south gave me an idea as well.
Sad you're already gone. I was looking forward on another try on Mr. Case. See you in a month, maybe he still will be around then. smile

Edit: mixed up left and right

Last edited by eppfel (2014-05-06 15:15:59)

#12 2014-05-06 13:22:17

Blip

eppfel wrote:

Is the house from the mapshot successfully self-tested? I like the top right corner trap. Took me some time to figure it out seeing it and its revision was really necessary wink

I self-tested the house shown, and successfully, so it should all work. The revision I died on had the three empty tiles above that cat near the entrance, along with the vertical wire, replaced with electric floors. It would have worked, but I walked directly into the electric floors once they were activated. tongue

I agree that the house was not your best one. It screamed vault in the bottom right corner and the cat in the south gave me an idea as well.

Yeah, I made the house in a rush after my successful robberies, resulting in a lot of unused space and boring traps like combo locks and magic dances. I also was just running out of trap ideas; I used my last truly unique ones in the Harris house.

#13 2014-05-07 16:04:34

poor

Damn, now I'll never get to solve that entrance.

(I was pretty close, too. However, I made the same dumb mistake every time until it killed me.)

"Safety" is relative
Current life: None; I'm quite dead.

#14 2014-05-07 17:03:58

poor

After looking at it again, maybe I wasn't as close as I thought...

"Safety" is relative
Current life: None; I'm quite dead.

#15 2014-05-08 01:01:06

eppfel
Website

After the first button go south,
after button in south, one step towards electric floor, back onto the button and then back to the unpowered electric floor(dog now unpowered the door and waits for you in the hallway),
then straight north over the trapdoor and electric floor (dog dies in unpowered trapdoor),
and finish by scaring the cat down the south path to activate the most north trapdoor for you.
As blip stated works with an electric floor in front of the last trapdoor, but you have to get the timing right.
It is a beautiful design, because all tiles serve a purpose, but you die on nearly every wrong step.

Board footer